You have seen #plasticfreeJuly plastered across Instagram and TikTok this past month, but what is it exactly?
Started in 2011, Plastic Free July is a key initiative of the Plastic Free Foundation that allows us to work towards our vision of seeing a world free of plastic waste. Millions of people across the globe take part every year, with many committing to reducing plastic pollution far beyond July.
Working towards a plastic-free world is a long and arduous road given its ties to major corporations, lobbyists, and other means of power and wealth. So at Clean Circle, we believe in being mindful of how we consume and using that mindset to reduce our plastic consumption. To easily transition into 100% plastic-free is a privilege not afforded to many. An example of this would be replacing plastic wrap with beeswax wrap! Do you know how much more expensive beeswax paper compared to plastic wrap is?!
In 2018, in the U.S. alone, almost 7.9 billion units of rigid plastic were created just for beauty and personal care products. Given that an average person uses 12-14 products daily - most packaged in plastic- this statistic makes sense. I believe that brands need to build a Sustainability Action Plan as part of their social responsibility. Even though Clean Circle is in no way Goliath in the beauty space, I’ve tried to be as thoughtful as possible when it comes to our packaging. Our product packaging AND shipping packaging is 100% recyclable, down to the paper tape we use to seal the box. As we continue to create beautiful, well-designed products, I hope you trust that I’ll always put sustainable packaging at the forefront when creating and developing.
As a Founder and beauty lover, I want to share how I’m celebrating Plastic Free July without the guilt! It’s all about how we consume!
- The easiest tip: I’m buying NO NEW PRODUCTS THIS MONTH. I have everything I need for my beauty and skincare routine. I have about 4 face creams that are nearly finished, but it’s enough to last me another 6 weeks. I make a conscious effort to switch my cream every week to change it up.
- Take an inventory of all your everyday items and decide where you can eliminate plastic and waste. And for the next month, track how much waste you are creating. Get a small bin and challenge yourself to limit your waste to just that bin. And then keep reducing further as you go.
- If you are planning a weekend away, my travel hack: do not carry full-size products. I upcycle my empties to hold small amounts of whatever I need for a few days. You do not need to buy the travel-size essentials at your local store. This also eliminates any risk of losing a full-size product in accidental spill or breakage.
- I had to slip this in: replace your makeup wipes. Makeup wipes are plastic and go straight into the landfill after one use. Not for me. You bet I’m carrying around our reusable bamboo makeup remover pads. With just water, I can clean up my makeup whenever I need it.
- Shop brands that follow your ethos (I hope that sounds like us!) Follow us on Instagram because we have partnered with other sustainable brands all month for giveaways!
Do you have any guilt-free, plastic- free beauty tips to share? Let me know!